Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Butter & Love

  To know me, is to know that I love to bake.  A self-admitted dessert junkie, I'm rarely more at home anywhere else than when I'm in the kitchen baking sweet treats for my friends and family to enjoy.
  You can't get much better than a good cookie, and I've long been trying to perfect my go-to cookie.  Allen doesn't like chocolate in his cookies, so that's had me experimenting with different combinations.  Often I would just follow a basic drop-cookie recipe and add whatever sounded good, using up ingredients I had a little of or trying something new.  I was quite partial to the dried Michigan cherries, but Allen didn't care for them as much, leading me to continue the search.
   And now I think I've hit the proverbial cookie jackpot with my latest concoction.  Studded with moist, golden raisins, flecked with bits of coconut and oats, and sweetened with a variety of chips these cookies are crispy, chewy, and golden.  Good luck eating just one! 
  I'm in a sharing mood:
This recipe is an adaptation of The Joy of Cooking's Quick Oatmeal Cookies recipe.  If you have another base recipe you like better, use that and just add the remaining goodies at the appropriate time.

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  
Cream 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar.  Cream.
Add 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 T milk.  Mix well.
Sift together: 1 cup sifted flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt.  Mix into creamed mixture.
Stir in 1 cup rolled oats, scant 3/4 cup each of peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, golden raisins, and coconut.  
Place on well-greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart, and baked until golden brown (10-12 minutes).  
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.  

This lucky girl has a new helper in the kitchen and her name is...

 
Kitchen-Aid Mixer!!

  The only things that could make this Valentine's Day complete are new skis and a powder day!  Oh, wait, that was yesterday...

All is full of love.  
~Bjork

No comments: