Thursday, April 26, 2012

In the kitchen with Satan!

New favorite wine under $10- Aveleda Fonte Vinho Verde
   Did I say Satan?  I meant, seitan.  Sound the same, but they're slightly different.  Well, really different.  One is (in my opinion) a symbol of the evil in man, and the other (fact, not opinion) is wheat flour with all of the starch dissolved.  Or something like that.  Recently, I tackled making seitan for the first time, which was a great experience.  This got me thinking about the fact that whenever I'm looking for something meat-like to replace real meat in a recipe...IT TASTES LIKE CRAP.  Now I am not a vegetarian, but I do prefer to eat more plants than animals.  Sometimes I like to modify traditional recipes and make them less meat-reliant, and this is why I was excited to try making the Seitan Pot Pie with Herb Biscuit Topping from the Spork Fed cookbook.  These sisters have made it their business to make vegan cooking a lifestyle.  They offer cooking classes, healty-eating consultations, and now have a cookbook.  You can find the recipe in the cookbook if you are intrigued.
  I had a lot of fun making the seitan, but I don't particularly care for the texture.  It's a bit chewy-gummy, stretchy...meh...
Seitan simmering...Looks promising...

Pot pie!
We still have both leftover pot pie AND leftover seitan in our freezer, so I will be giving it another go.
  
My two cents:

In the mean time, if you're looking for something to sate your palate in the "fake meat" department this is my suggestion:
Buy any and everything you can find from this company!
 And now for the Satan part...

  It's only fitting that I also include something symbolic of the evil in man: Butter, eggs, and you guessed it...
  

  Okay, so you probably didn't guess, but here it is.  Ooey, gooey, chewy, dense, delicious, habit-forming, Crack Pie.  This recipe comes from the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook.  Christina Tosi, the dessert maven and creator of the recipes made and sold at Milk Bar Dessert Bar, has finally put her masterpieces in print so those of us that don't live in New York can make them at home!  It's an homage to dessert.  It is decadence defined.  And the recipes have interesting ingredients in them like cereal milk, milk powder, and corn powder.  (The latter two were used in these recipes.)  What I probably loved most about these recipes was their attention to detail.  Nothing is simple, but everything is composed of simple ingredients.  Most recipes are at LEAST two parts, and some are many, many more.  These are the two I managed:
Crack Pie- Eat at your own risk! (Oatmeal cookie crust + liquid crack)
Cornflake Crunch
Cornflake Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies
  Let's just say that the cookies were gone in a couple of days, and it's a good thing the Crack Pie recipe makes two pies!
  If this was too much for you (a vegan recipe AND a diabetic coma recipe in ONE post?!?), I promise the next post will be simple, healthy food that won't give you Type II diabetes or have you wishing you were eating something with a face!  Until next time...
Strawberry-Grapefruit Smoothie
         

No comments: